Friday, December 10, 2004

 

WAL-MART AND MUSIC

A Maryland family has filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart, accusing the company of "deceiving its customers" by stocking copies of Evanescence's recent concert CD/DVD "Anywhere But Home".

The issue here is the lyrics of "Thoughtless", one of the tracks on "Anywhere But Home". "Thoughtless" is not an original Evanescence song. It was originally performed by Korn on their "Untouchables" album. For the record, I have Evanescence's "Fallen" and there is not a single profane word on that album.

A portion of "Thoughtless":

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny
What the f*ck you think it's doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me
I want you crying, when you're dirty in the front of me


"I don't want any other families to get this, expecting it to be clean. It needs to be removed from the shelves to prevent other children from hearing it," said plaintiff Trevin Skeens of Brownsville.

Skeens said he and his wife, Melanie, let their daughter buy the music for her 13th birthday and were shocked when they played it in their car while driving home.


I've never gotten the whole "my kid is going to be scarred by hearing the f-word" theory. Please. I would venture to guess that this girl had heard the f-word way before she listened to the Evanescence CD. But I digress.

Oh, and when I was 13, I was listening to Offspring "Smash". There was a certain song called "Bad Habit". Great song, and the following lyrics sure as hell didn't scar me for life. At least my parents didn't look at music that way.

Drivers are rude
Such attitudes
But when I show my peace
Complaints cease
Something's odd
I feel like I'm god
You stupid dumbsh*t goddamn motherf**ker


Lesson in life, folks: Don't buy your music at Wal-Mart, unless you absolutely know that the CD you're going to buy has no objectionable material at all.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?